Tuesday, August 18, 2009

News to No-One

According to a recent study, 40% of all Twitter babble is...well, babble.


This will only come as a surprise to someone unfamiliar to Twitter. Those of us who use it regularly already knew this. In fact, we constantly fight the urge to Un-Follow friends who Tweet too much or Retweet even more than that.
But that is the beauty of Twitter. There is a sense that one can become lost in the Twitter crowd, or rise to the top of the conversation, depending on your mood.
In order for this to happen, not everything tweeted will be enlightening. In fact, most of it will not be enlightening. Most of it will be babble.

So in this sense the Twitterverse is not creating enough babble. Just a mere 40% is useless, meaning 60% could be providing some enlightenment. If we honestly wish to maintain the anonymity created by having a plethora of useless Tweets, we should all immediately go Retweet the news that Michael Jackson has died....

1 comment:

  1. I missed this post earlier. Amen on the struggles to unfollow. I go through my following list monthly and weed out those that no longer say pertinent things or make no sense. I was following several accounts than were posting things about the Iran election that when the affairs died down, the tweets were about things that I wasn't interested in.

    I'm at a point know that I'm looking for new folks to follow to fill my reading up. I've weeded enough out that I actually can read all tweets in a course of a day.

    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete